23.1.09

In My Ear

I've been listening to such great music recently, I find myself just having to share the good notes with you! So if you were to grab my iPod, here are some of my favorite tunes that I would hear:

Alice Smith



I discovered D.C. native, Alice Smith a while ago while watching the show Entourage in which her song "Dream" was featured at the end of an episode. I literally couldn't get the song out of my head. Her entire album is a marvel and her four-octave voice very seems to disappoint. She has all the stuff of Nina Simone, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, rolled into one, but with favorite singers like Bjork as her inspiration, you know she isn't one is easily box into one category! This particular song - Woodstock - is a perfect way to wake up in the morning and get the day rolling.

Tandy



Ahhh, I don't even know what category I would classify Mike Ferrio under. It's a little bit country, a lot of folk, and an extra dosage of just plain good music! I particular love the lyrics to this song, 'Home'.

Lila Downs



I heard this Mexican-American singer long before I even knew who she was. If you saw the movie Frida, then you too have heard the great voice of Lila Downs. Her songs have so many influences from fado, to ranchera, machiachi and tejano plus many American musical flavors. Her duet with the great, Mercedes Sosa (another staple artist on my iPod rotation) is also phenomenal.

Sébastien Tellier



A little French electronic pop anyone? It was totally unexpected for me too, but I heard two his songs and I was HOOKED. This song and the song The Look are both great!

Jarabe de Palo



I just love this beautiful duet with Barcelona-based Jarabe de Palo and fellow Spanish singer La Mari from the group Chambao.

Hope you enjoy and have a good weekend!!!

1 comment:

Fly Brother said...

Loving the Smith and Tellier. I'll have to check them out.