6.5.09

Doreen Mashika

With summer just around the corner (as soon as this wet week is over) I am excited about the fact that I get to burst out my summer "shoes" (aka flip flops). Since this is the best I can do (shy of walking around barefoot which I do more and more regardless of where I am) I like to keep them as stylish as possible and I think these designs by Tanzanian designer Doreen Mashika are just what I need:
These with some light-weight jeans and a white tank top...


Maybe paired up with these simple and gorgeous bracelets...


Mashika also makes lovely handbags combining Italian leather with African textiles! You know I'm loving this designer....

{Photos from here}

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I adore Doreen Mashikas` creations, I recently fell in love with all that is African, funny I know, I am African but I had not yet appreciated what we have on our own doorsteps. Everyone has noticed my new handbag, its bold and so brilliantly made I take it with me everywhere. I shall venture into woning more creations from our daring African design sisters! Wow is all I can say.... thank you for making Africa beautiful!

3CC said...

It is great that Doreen supports small women vendors to source her fabrics, but this does not justify lousy customer service, or overpricing poor quality products. Fortunate for the designer brand, Doreen Mashika boutique is located in the heart of Stonetown Zanzibar, where many of the wealthier tourists can afford to spend money on souvenirs. When these visitors return home, their 150$ Kanga dress is guaranteed to disintegrate due to poor craftsmanship.

Customer care is an important aspect of the fashion industry and it is disappointing to see a Tanzanian designer failing undiscriminating business. Doreen Mashika may ruin the reputation of emerging Tanzanian designers and artists who take pride in doing ethical business through respecting their customers and offering quality products.

Have you seen Chichia London? http://www.chichialondon.com/
Now this is progressive Tanzanian fashion.. the first phase of caring for your customers is through offering us a dynamic website where we can discover your style and talk about it...