17.7.09

Angélique Kidjo


Wow! I can't believe the end of the week has already arrived. To get your Friday morning started, you definitely need to watch this video to hear the amazingly talented Beninese singer Angélique Kidjo. There are so many great songs of hers to choose from, but I selected this particularly video for you to hear the acoustic powerhouse that she truly is.



Born in Cotonou in 1960, Kidjo was on the airwaves by her teens and really her Grammy award was an inevitable milestone on her journey as an artist.

Personally, I've loved her music for so many years that I can't remember when the devotion began. I have so many memories with a Kidjo song as the main score. For example, I can still remember back in 2007 when I was driving into Eastern Equatoria in Sudan for the first time. I had a billion nerves all on full alert for so many reasons and I remember sitting in the front seat of the jeep, windows rolled down, taking in the scenery, trying to imagine all that was lying ahead of me with the Djin Djin album streaming through my iPod. Even today, when one of her songs pops up on my shuffle rotation, I'm unable to do anything but be 100% engaged (even if it means I'm doing a little dance number at the red light as I wait to cross).

On the Djin Djin album she collaborates with several amazing artists including Alicia Keys, Joss Stone, Josh Groban, and Ziggy Marley just to name a few. You can click here to hear her collaboration with Ziggy Marley and here for her hit with Joss Stone.

{Photo from The Vancouver Sun}

No comments: