11.1.10

Through the Lens: George Osodi






I'll be the first to admit that I don't think too much about where the gas that I put into my gas comes from. I tank my car about 2-3 a month so it's only then that the idea even comes into my head. Last summer when I was in Iraq, I saw oil fields and began to slowly process the enormity of this one natural resource. Of course the Niger Delta is loaded with the instability that control of oil has brought and these images by Nigerian photographer George Osodi allow us to take a brief glimpse into the extent to which this one resource permeates the lives of over 30 million people who live in the region.

In addition to these images of Nigeria, Osodi also has an amazing series documenting gold diggers in Ghana as well as some stunning images of Cameroon and Norway. You can clearly see why his work has been featured in publications such as the New York Times, Newsweek, The Telegraph, USA Today, Der Spiegal, and BBC Focus on Africa as well as why he was awarded the Fuji African Photojournalist in 2004. You can see more of his work via his website and through his agency Panos Pictures.


{Photos: George Osodi}

No comments: