10.6.10

Let's Talk: Bia van Deventer

Remember back in April when I was tell you about my growing obsession with illustrations and digital art? Well, that obsession continues! I love seeing great digital art and looking through portfolios of great artists. One such artist that I came across that I love is South African Bia van Deventer and I'm really glad to feature our virtual conversation with you today!

What are the first five words that come to mind when you think about Africa?

Culture, Potential, Freedom, Sun, Bliss

What is one of your favorite memories from time spent in Africa or around other Africans abroad?

Last December, going on a game farm in Mpumalanga and ending up in the middle of 200 water buffaloes at night, scary but amazing.

Many people who have not been to South Africa either have no idea what South Africa is like or have a lot of preconceived ideas about the country. What is one thing that you think someone would be surprised to learn or see in South Africa?

South Africa has a thriving creative community who actually contributes significantly in the global market. I'm sure quite a bleak picture is painted about South Africa regarding issues such as poverty and crime which tends to cause the conception that all facets of South African society and culture are undeveloped and second rate. Well it would astound those who labour under this misconception that South African creatives win a significant number of awards each year be it One Show awards for advertising or Grammies for music we bring them home by the shipload annually and we have even had judges on the Cannes Film Festival for a number of years running.

If you could go to one place on the continent right now, where would it be and why?

Egypt, I went there in 2005 and would love to go again! I love the rich history and museums!!

How did you first get interested in graphic design, and what made you decide to pursue this as a career?

The fine arts were just about all I excelled in at school so when it came to choosing a career graphic design was the natural progression.

When you are not coming up with wonderful graphics, what else do you like to do?

Going to the movies at the Labia, going to the beach and spending time with my family and friends.

Where is your favorite hang out spot?
Ricks Cafe - Kloof street ... it's a literal replica of Ricks Cafe featured in the movie Casablanca.

What is your personal soundtrack right now?


Who or what has been your greatest inspiration?

The Australian company Mash Design. Their delicate use of texture, layout and typography, combined with interesting new ideas, keeps me in awe.

What has been your proudest achievement?

Going on my own. I love every moment of it.

What is the best lesson you've learned so far?

If you lose, don't lose the lesson.

What dream do you still want to fulfill?

To travel the entire world, have my name on the cover of Vogue, live in New York and visit India.

Wasn't that great?! I especially love hearing from entrepreneurs who are out there following their dreams on their own terms - so inspiring. Be sure to check out more of Bia's amazing work right here on her site.

Thanks so much Bia!!

1 comment:

Uzo said...

Thanks Bia and Thanks Brandie. Let's Talk is my favorite segment of the blog. I love reading about how amazingly talented people are making it happen and how Africa comes through in their person and/or their work.

Thanks again.