2.9.10

Art Scene: Tunisian Inspiration


Who out there doesn't love a good tale of inspiration? When that inspiration is made visible through art, the tale gets all the better! I recently learned that artists Paul Klee and August Macke both had their aha moment while visiting Tunisia in 1914. This experience and the light and colors that they experienced were so monumental that Klee would write:

"Color has taken possession of me; no longer do I have to chase after it, I know that it has hold of me forever....Color and I are one. I am a painter."

Not only did their time in Tunisia inspire these lovely paintings of the country, it would also forever change all their painting from then on. To think that a few weeks in the motherland had such an amazing impact on the lives of these individuals and in turn their impact on the art world is just brilliant!

{Photos/Quote: Images Zeno, Arte y Artistas, Wikipedia, Humanities Web}

No comments: