11.11.10

Let's Talk: Michael Tsegaye

Having dropped the ball a bit since the summer on these interviews, I'm picking it up again with a quick chat with Ethiopian photographer Michael Tsegaye. I can't remember where I first came upon Michael's images, but since I did I've been wanting to share them with you. When he responded to my request for this interview, I was very psyched to learn a little more about this photographer whose work I find so inspiring.



What are the first five words that come to mind when you think about Africa?
It makes me wonder what it was life before colonization.
What is one of your favorite memories from time spent in Africa or around other Africans abroad?
Working and parting in Accra, Ghana.
If you could go to one place on the continent right now, where would it be and why?
Angola, because the Embassy of Angola in Addis is making it difficult to go to my exhibition there.
How did you first get interested in photography, and what made you decide to pursue this as a career?
It was by chance I got in to photography
When you are not coming up with amazing photographs, what else do you like to do?
Spend my time with my mother
Where is your favorite hang out spot?
In Addis Ababa there are few bars I like to go.
What is your personal soundtrack right now?
Wild Cat - Ratata
Who or what has been your greatest inspiration?
The people who are very close to me.
What has been your proudest achievement?
Being what I am.
What is the best lesson you've learned so far?
The best lesson I have learned is to see, observe, and look deeply.
What dream do you still want to fulfill?
To have a solo show at the TATE and MOMA.
(Photos: Michael Tsegaye)

No comments: