27.5.09

Magazine Rack


I have been reading so many great magazines recently, I figured it was high time I shared my great finds.

First and foremost on my list is ARISE. I cannot tell you how much I have been looking forward to this magazine. I heard about it a few months ago during all the flutter that is New York Fashion week. While I was excited, I was also a little sad as I didn't think I would have access to such a foreign-based magazine in my little village (cosmopolitian as one may think of D.C., it is still very much a village in comparison with the New York and Londons of the world). When Ms. Shoo over at SheBreathes mentioned that it was available at Barnes and Nobles, nothing shy of hell freezing over could keep me away and let me just tell you, this new magazine certainly does not disappoint. For each giant page to the next, this magazine is stuff to the brim with all kinds of goodness coming out of Africa and such a well edited and stylized format that it makes all $12 per issue worth it!

I discovered Sunset a few months ago over at {frolic!} and I was literally hooked at first browse! This magazine is all about west coast living and it serious fuel to all my "wide open spaces" "working with hands" "be in nature" fire! Not only is there garden section amazing (and my favorite) but honestly, the whole magazine just oozes shining, happy people having fun. What's not to love about that?!? I finally bit the bullet the other day and bought the actual magazine while in the grocery store and boy oh boy, even just glancing at the cover sitting on my ottoman is enough to make me want to delay this post just for one more glimpse!


Since arriving back in the land of too many distractions, I have barely had the attention span to actually read an entire novel. I have come to rely very heavily on short story podscasts to help push me along. Not too long ago, I remembered this magazine, The Sun. I had seen it in a house while hanging out with a friend last summer and thought it was awesome. Page after page of great writing with NO ads?!? What's not to love? When the magazine appeared at my doorstep, I was over the moon. Now when it's time to wind down for bed, this is definitely a good place for me to start.


Have you ever been at a book store and kept going back to the same magazine? Well that was me and Yoga Journal for a long time. On a sucky winter day, I would go into the bookstore at my train station and just stand there going through every page, wondering how I could achieve the incredible poses of the models and browsing though the articles. I finally brought one home with me and having been loving the magazine ever since! Yoga is top on the list of things I want to stick-to and this magazine definitely helps. Now if only I could find a yoga studio that doesn't price as if yoga is only for the rich and famous.....



Bicycle has been the last to join my magazine rack (ok, it's mostly a pile near my bed), but feeds the same side of me as Yoga Journal. When I bought my bike, the shop threw in two free issues and it is soooo good. It showcases the hottest bikes, training for races, plus foodie guides, and interviews with the best and fastest in the sport. I am hardly the athlete, but riding my bike is the best thing I do for myself and this magazine makes me want to do so more and more!

Now as a lover of all things interior design, I'm sure you are shocked that no such magazine is on my little rotation. To be honest, between all the design blogs, I get more than a days worth of interior design news. Plus there are SO many design magazines, I am not sure where to even start to select.

Anyway...that's what I am reading right now....what's in your magazine pile?

No comments: