18.2.10

Art Scene: Babatola Oguntoyinbo


There is beauty all around us is something that people love to say and in the case of the past Sunday, I'd have to agree. My friend and I were waiting for dinner reservations and decided to wait in a Cup A Joe, a local Chapel Hill coffee shop which specializes in brewing all kinds of good stuff. When I walked in, I immediately noticed these amazing paintings on the walls but as I was carrying a baby in one of those mega contraptions that they get moved in and trying to figure out what to drink, I didn't get to give these pieces the attention they deserved. Later on with coffee finished, baby resting calmly with mom, I looked up and I was literally surrounded by these paintings by Babatola Oguntoyinbo. Born to Nigerian parents, Tola grew up in the south and has been exploring his artistic side while also running his own business.

One of the most interesting things about this artist is that he documents the process that takes a painting for the first strokes to the last. His site offers viewers a chance to look into this process which I find very cool. No more of the "how in the world did he do this" thoughts! You can check out his website and follow him on Twitter and Facebook and for those of you currently in Chapel Hill, definitely head over to Cup A Joe to see these paintings in-person (as well as get a good cup of coffee).

No comments: