19.7.10

Through the Lens: Peter DiCampo





Have you ever been in a town without electricity? I can tell you from experience that things get pretty dark once the sun sets and everything takes on a new dimension when when lit by kerosene lamps, flashlights, fire or car headlights. Yet, I remember very fondly the hours I spent curled under a mosquito net in a tukul lit only by a kerosene lamp desperately trying to finish a book. Well, American photographer Peter DiCampo decided to photograph this life without lights while living in Ghana. As you can see, the results are stunning!

Do you have any favorite memories of times without electricity?

{Photos: Peter DiCampo}

1 comment:

Wonderful Star said...

Well as always I love these images. I do have memories of the deep rural south without electricity and having to pump water from a well also. The sky was almost enveloped you at night when I was much younger.

j