21.3.11

Flickr Finds Africa: 3.21.2011

When I came across these aerial shots of Bazaruto, Mozambique by André Pipa, I could literally feel myself being transported to this amazingly serene scene. Quiet coastlines just waiting to be strolled or just laying in the sand gazing at the clouds rolling by. While I've never been to Bazaruto, coastal Mozambique (Vilankulos) is easily one of my favorite places and Pipa's images does this part of Africa so much justice.





In addition, to allowing me to share his work with you today, he was also gracious enough to answer a few questions:

Was there any particular inspiration for this series?
The inspiration came from sky.... love aerial photography and had the chance to make two scenic flights over Bazaruto in a small plane (door open!) with a funny New Zealand pilot... the island is a beauty and the experience was simply unforgettable

What are 5 words that come to mind when you think about Africa?
Space - Freedom - Nature - Smell - Drama

When you aren't taking amazing pictures, what else do you like to do?
I like to write (that's my job, I am a journalist)... to read... to think ... and, above all, to be with my family: I have four wonderful kids and they are the best thing I did in my life

What wish would you still like to fulfill?
Oh, so many !!!!.....Would love to visit / photograph the Okawango Delta, the Australian Outback, Tasmania, Alaska, the Sahara desert, Montana, Malasya, Hawaii, The French Polynesia (the list is endless).... despite having been in 94 countries in 5 continents there are so many places I don't know, so many

What photographers do you find particularly inspiring?
Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Doisneau, Yann Arthus-Bertrand, Steve McCurry, Sebastião Salgado, Michael Poliza, Bernhard Edmaier, Patrick Demarchelier, Craig Potton, Hans Feuer, Annie Leibovitz, Brigitte Lacombe, Yann Layma, Raghu Rai, Thomas L. Kelly, Robert Nicklesberg, Sanjeev Saith, Mitch Epstein, Alex Webb, Swapan Parekh, Pamela Singh, Mary Ellen Mark, Robert Doisneau, Willy Ronis, Edouard Boubat...


Yes, your eyes did not fool you...he did indeed say 94 countries! Needless to say you could literally get lost in his photostream forever, just as you should!

Thanks André!

1 comment:

Uzo said...

I keep coming back to Andre's pictures. Yesterday I spent 11.5 hrs in the office and every time I looked at his pictures I took a much needed vacation from my life -- albeit only a minute long vacation, but bliss all the same.