12.11.09

Still Life with Roses


As I cruise along my day, I usually have some song or two playing on repeat in my head. Recently there has been quite a lot of "Dancing in the Dark" playing and I'm still trying to figure out what that is about. While I'm use to music being constantly with me, recently, I've started to have a lot of paintings going through my head. At first I didn't understand what was going on, but I think the issue is that I really miss my painting class. I recently took a time out to save for all things holiday related (i.e. presents, flights, etc) and I honestly can't wait for the new year to roll around so that I can start again. I didn't realize just how much I enjoyed it until I no longer had that 2 hours to look forward to each week. I initially thought this was something I would go to the paint store, get some supplies and just tackle alone, but clearly that has not been the case. I think I'm still a little intimidated by it and want the eye (or maybe just reassurance) of someone who knows what they are doing.

This beautiful painting by South Africa artist Irma Stern (who I've blogged about before here) has been on repeat in my head as I contemplate how it was done - the various strokes, which layers came first, what things I would change if I were painting it and more. This is an entirely new feeling and experience for me. While I've always loved paintings, I just never thought about trying it out for myself until this summer. Now I look at paintings through such different lenses. I see how difficult an art painting is, how much dedication it requires (much like everything else in life), and how fun it can be.

No comments: